I keep switching computers around at work and at home– just jumping from one computer to another to try something different out- and I have come up with a list of tools that I always install first thing when I take a new windows computer to use. I’ve done this so much lately, that I’ve put all of these tools on my usb drive that I keep on my key ring (isn’t that a geeky thing to have?).
- Firefox – an extensible browser that renders appropriately
- Filezilla – easy to use ftp client
- Notepad ++ – small text file editor
- VLC – media player that will play almost any video or audio file
When I take on a new Mac or Linux machine I still use Firefox and Filezilla, but have a different text editor.
I also have a set of extensions that I always install in Firefox the first time I use it.
- Xmarks (was foxmarks) – a bookmarks synchronizer (I don’t use the password sync feature)
- Firebug – a quick html/css inspector
- Screengrab! – take a quick screenshot and save it or paste it.
- Measureit – answers how long or deep is that image?
I have a lot of others that I eventually end up installing when I need them, but these are normally the first four.
So what tools do you always use?